Moving Forward Episode 12

Everyone around me seems to have a goal in their life - a dream that they work towards. Me? I guess I don't really have one. I never really understood why people expect high schoolers to choose a major and a future job before they graduate. How can I, when I don't even know the kind of person I am yet?  I mean, I've never met a single adult who knew who they were at the age of 18. I once had a teacher who told us that he went through 5 full careers before finding that his true dream job was being a teacher; he was 50 at the time. He told us that we didn't have to have life all figured out, and I think that's really good advice. When I was a sophomore, I wanted to major in English. When I was a junior, I wanted to major in cognitive science. Now, I want to major in economics and statistics. I think it's okay to not have found your dream yet. I believe it's important to worry about the future, but I also think you have to have a little faith in yourself as well. My point is - you don't have to have it figured out, whether it's at the age of 18 or at the age of 50. It doesn't really matter where you think you're going, as long as you keep moving forward.

Sue Kim (Senior) of Seoul Scholars International (South Korea)




Email YOUR story to youthleadersinternational@gmail.com with your name, grade, school, and country for a chance to get published on our blog!


Comments